English EN Romanian RO Greek EL Turkish TR Ukrainian UA

Greek Aquaculture: Annual Report

  • 0

Greek Aquaculture: Annual Report


The Hellenic Aquaculture Producers Organization (HAPO) has published the 9th Annual Aquaculture Report, presenting the evolution of the aquaculture sector in the past year.

In 2022, sales of Greek aquaculture fish showed an increase of 1% in volume and 14% in sales value compared to 2021, reaching 137,000 tons of fish, worth 744 million euros. The main species sold were sea bream and sea bass, which accounted for 92% of sales (126,700 tons), while all other species only accounted for 8% (10,300 tons).

In 2022 Greek aquaculture further strengthened the external orientation of the industry. 82% of the production was distributed to the EU and third countries, while the remaining 18% went to the domestic market. Exports showed an increase of nearly 4% in volume and 20% in sales value compared to the previous year, reaching 104,192 tons, valued at 600.6 million euros.

The implementation of co-financed production investments from the Fisheries Operational Program continued intensively, along with actions to enhance the sustainability of the industry.

The main challenges faced by the sector in 2022 include:

– intense inflationary pressures and an additional 10% increase in production costs caused by the revaluation of the raw materials used in fish feed;

-competition from Turkey, due to a significant increase of their production, and the devaluation of the Turkish lira.

The report is available in Greek and English, at the link below:

HAPO_AR23_WEB-NEW.pdf (fishfromgreece.com)